A Setback

Hi everyone, this is Mary Lou, Deb’s Mom.  Deb had been recovering well from her stem cell transplant (March 19), with only minor issues over the past few months.  By September she felt like she was getting more energy back.  Then about three weeks ago she suddenly started feeling very tired again.  Blood work showed that her blood counts had dropped significantly in a short time period.  Both the Stanford and Kaiser doctors were concerned and asked for repeat blood tests. With each test, the blood levels went lower, and Thursday her hemoglobin reached a level where a red blood cell transfusion was needed.  Deb was admitted to the hospital Thursday night (November 13) and received the transfusion yesterday.  She will remain in the hospital over the weekend as a platelet transfusion may be required.  She was also running a low grade fever which spiked last night, and then went down, so they have added a broad spectrum antibiotic to her IV schedule and are watching her closely for signs of infection, which can be particularly dangerous when blood counts are low.

A bone marrow biopsy is the only way to determine what is causing the blood counts to drop, and that procedure was done last Wednesday.  Unfortunately we will not get the results until Monday, so we have a long weekend to wait to know the outcome and what the plan will be going forward.  We are praying that it is not a return of the leukemia.  There are also other conditions that can cause the blood counts to fall, such as “primitive” donor cells, which are not stem cells, dying off, which can then appear as a drop.

Ironically, a couple of months ago I had planned a trip to CA for my first visit with Deb since returning home after we left Stanford in June.  I arrived in CA last week, and while it didn’t turn out to be the fun visit we had hoped for, I am glad that I am here to be with her through this.

Thank you everyone for your support and prayers which mean so much to us.

This entry was posted in Health Update and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to A Setback

1. Candace says:

Oh no 😦 I’m so sorry that Deb is back in the hospital. Good luck with the biopsy! Keep us posted. Praying for Deb ❤

2. Candace says:

Oh no 😦 I’m so sorry that Deb is back in the hospital. Wishing you good luck with the bone marrow biopsy. Keep us posted. Praying for Deb ❤

3. JoAnn Moreschini says:

Sending love and prayers to you….holding you in light. Glad your mother is with you. JoAnn

4. Linda Presley says:

Hi Deb and Mary Lou, I’m am sorry to hear this news! Please remember sometimes it takes the hard road going to get to the best of places. This doesn’t mean you haven’t been there..it just means the road had a detour and you have a bit farther to go !! YOU MY GIRL ARE SO STRONG IN MIND I know IN MY HEART AND SOUL YOU ARE going to find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow! You have so many others love and support going for you. Use it to get you through these hard times. I’m so grateful May Lou you are with Deb right now. I’m in Japan and will be home this week. I’ll call. You both have all my love and prayers coming your way. Thank you for updating all of us. P.S. Love to Andy too!!

God bless you. And know you are in my prayers. Love, Joanne

Praying for you, Deb! Sending lots of love your way.

7. Pam says:

Hoping you all are finding helpful distractions while you wait for Monday. Thank you for the good explanation, Mary Lou. Sending love and optimism!

8. Good timing, Mary Lou. It’s wonderful that you are able to be there for Deb right now. Thank you for your presence and caring, from one who is caring from a distance.

Thank you, Mary Lou, for the post. I knew Deb had had a setback, and welcome your post as a way to send a few words of support to her, you, Andy, and all those closest to her. So many, *many* people are embracing Deb with their love! Cindy

10. All of our thoughts and Karma are with you DEB and of course with you Mary Lou. Lots of love and be strong DEB and do not give up. You are special and the planet needs people like you.